Monday, December 22, 2014

NARS Audacious Lipsticks Review & Lip Swatches



Hi there, Keryn here! Today, the makeup/ lipstick-addict that I am is here to share with you my two cents- review and swatches of the NARS Audacious Lipsticks. :) 

Since it's now officially winter in the UK and that it's nearing the festive seasons, in this post I'm dressed in a warm jumper of my go-to fall/winter colour- maroon. I usually procrastinate on posts, but I figured since it's almost Christmas- releasing this post may help the last-minutes gift buyers who wish to buy these lipsticks as gifts for the makeup lovers around them. If you give these lipsticks to makeup- especially lipsticks- lovers, I assure you they will love you. :D

Maroon jumper- Primark // black beanie- HM Kids (lol)



The NARS Audacious Lipsticks are new releases of Fall 2014 and in this collection there are 40 gorgeous shades of lipsticks. I have here 12 of them. :D They each retails at £24. (I'm not sure about the price in RM)



I've been eyeing the Audacious lipsticks collection ever since its release and decided to get myself my first of the collection in the most beautiful coral shade Natalie. :)

With my purchase the sales lady told me of the Instagram competition that @Narcissist was holding. I'm always very skeptical about competition like this because I don't think companies actually send winners gifts but only use that as an advertisement gimmick. (I've had experience winning something but not receiving the gift) But anyhoo, I posted a picture on Instagram and with a hashtag #NARSAudaciouslips, I was entered into the competition.

Then one random day, I received this DM on instagram from @Narcissist telling me I'm one of the lucky winners!






I was away travelling for a week and when I came home, a package was left on my bed for me. In the big black box there were 12 Audacious Lipsticks. :D Thank you so much Nars Cosmetics!



Let's get down to talking about the lipsticks now shall we? :) 

The Audacious lipsticks are highly pigmented with a smooth, creamy formula. The colours are really bold and true to color that of what you see in the bullets. They are semi-matte hence a slight sheen when applied. They don't contain any glitter and that is how I prefer my lipsticks to be. :D Matte lipsticks are often very hard to wear because they tend to dry the lips but these are not drying at all.




The packaging is matte black bullet with magnetic closure. It is sleek to the eyes and sturdy to the touch. The lipstick itself has the words NARS stamped on the front and each of the four alphabets occupy one face of the base of the lipstick in black. With the magnetic packaging, the lipsticks can be stuck together for easy organisation. :)

I will now give you swatches of the lipsticks on my arm as well as on my lips according to the colour families:



First are the pinks and corals. From bottom to top: (pinks) Julie, Michiyo, (corals) Natalie, Kelly, Grace


NARS Audacious Lipstick Julie
Julie is described as a nude pink on the NARS website. For fairer skins though this would be the perfect everyday nude lipstick. For people with tan skins, this shade will look super pretty paired with dramatic smokey eyes. I am not particularly fair so this shade is not too flattering on me when worn on it's own or with neutral makeup, but I'm sure I will make a lot of use of it when I go for more dramatic makeup looks. :)

(Update: This colour has grown on me. Love it with everyday makeup when I have nothing on the eyes and just need a pop of colour on the lips)


NARS Audacious Lipstick michiyo
NARS Audacious Lipstick Michiyo
Michiyo is described as shocking pink and it is a blue-toned bubble gum pink shade. It is one of my favourites of the bunch because it is girly and bright but not too dramatic.


NARS Audacious Lipstick Natalie
Natalie is described as flamingo and it is a beautiful pink coral shade. This is the perfect shade for my skin tone for everyday wear and this is the shade that earned me my other Audacious lipsticks (:P) so it will forever be one of my most loved!


NARS Audacious Lipstick Kelly
Kelly is described as coral hibiscus and it is a deeper coral as compared with Natalie. A beautiful pink-based red.


NARS Audacious Lipstick Grace
Grace is described as bright pink coral and it is deepest shade among my three corals. In my opinion corals really compliments Asian skin tones especially those with yellow undertone. And I think this would be the perfect Chinese New Year Day 1 shade haha (if only I'm celebrating this year TT).



Next we have the oranges and the reds. From bottom to top: (oranges) Geraldine, Lana, (reds) Annabella, Carmen

NARS Audacious Lipstick Geraldine
Geraldine is described as tangerine and it is a typical orange shade. (I just realized I spelled the name wrong in the pictures lol fml Grenadine is the name of a bar syrup) Orange lipsticks has been very popular especially in Korean makeup and it reminds me of the very popular MAC shade Morange. I'm slow on the trend but I will catch up! :D


NARS Audacious Lipstick Lana
Lana is described as a vivid orange red and in my opinion this colour would suit anybody. :)


NARS Audacious Lipstick Annabella
Annabella is described as poppy red and it is a red with a tiny hint of orange. 


NARS Audacious Lipstick Carmen
Carmen is described as geranium and it is a classic true red. In my opinion Annabella is more of a casual look red while Carmen is a more sophisticated red. As soon as I put it on, I think I have found myself the perfect red lipstick. :D 



Lastly we have the purples. From bottom to top: Dominique, Fanny, Liv


NARS Audacious Lipstick Dominique
Dominique is described as pink lilac and it is a very pretty purple shade. Sadly though it has a really blue undertone that I don't think suits my skin tone. I'm not sure whether or not I can pull it off pairing it with smokey eyes but I'll have to experiment with it more to find out. Don't let me put you off because this shade would look really good on people with really fair skin or really really dark skin though.


NARS Audacious Lipstick Fanny
Fanny, on the other hand, is my favourite shade among all! It is described as deep berry and it is so beautiful! I love berry lipsticks and it is perfect for fall/winter. This is the shade I was wearing in my intro pics and I am sure I will be making a lot of use of it all winter long. :D


NARS Audacious Lipstick Liv
Last but not least, we have Liv- described as a deep aubergine (aka eggplant/brinjal). It is such a beautiful shade but not for the faint of heart! I don't think I will be wearing it a lot because I've never worn lipsticks as dark as this. But then, there's something to wearing super dark lipsticks - it makes you feel powerful. And it looks really good in pictures! I will find the perfect occasion to carry this off and I will find my other Liv a perfect new home. :D


Maybelline Color Show Berry Fusion
In case you were wondering, nail polish I'm wearing is Maybelline's Color Show in the shade Berry Fusion. 



Plus some extra silly shots! This post took me the whole day to shoot, edit and write. Hope you enjoyed reading and find this helpful! And do recommend me some Audacious lipsticks that you love and which you think I should try next. :)




With all the love,
Kxin

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Thanks for the review, im considering getting liv :)

kxin keryn pue said...

Glad to hear that! Hope you enjoy your new lipstick :)