Sunday, July 2, 2017

Photobucket and It's new Term of Use

UPDATE:

Was scrolling through my blog after publishing my latest blog post. When I reached my 2016 posts, I found my intro picture replaced with a note that reads "Please update your account to enable 3rd Party Hosting" "For more info please go to photobucket.com/P500". I continued scrolling and to my horror, all the pictures have been replaced with it.



Panic striken, I googled "Photobucket P500" and found that many websites had been affected as well. Apparently without prior notice to its users, Photobucket has changed its Terms of Use and this change only took place last week. I read that for Photobucket to continue supporting 3rd party hosting, users will now have to pay a whopping $399 per year.

My posts in 2017 are not affected because I only recently switched to Flickr to support my photo links, as recommended by my sister. But I am so distressed right now because I have been using photobucket to store and link photos since as early as 2012.

More than 4 years of blog content now filled with this ugly grey notice.



People are saying it may be a website hack which it may be solved but people are also saying to not have your hopes up.

And whats even more horrid, users are claiming that they are unable to download the content uploaded in their Photobucket accounts. Luckily I managed to download my library of 2566 pictures. But to restore all the affected posts with the original pictures would mean I have to manually do it one by one and I doubt I'll have the time nor energy for it so if things persist, then bye bye 4 years of blog content..

If you don't know me, then I'm probably sounding overly dramatic right now. I'm sure there are people with websites and contents out there more affected by this change of policy. But if you know me you know I am very attached to my blog. I am preparing myself emotionally and mentally for the worst. :(


With all the love,
Kxin

7 comments:

Deborah said...

I didn't worry so much about the photos - what I am panicked about is that it is in my blog itself..... as in every single title.

-JoJo- said...

I'm super angry now too! RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! F U PUBOBUCKET!

HarukoBev said...

Thank bebe for intro Flickr

kxin keryn pue said...

@Jojo I'm sorry you are experiencing the same thing! :'(

@Bebe Shouldve switched long ago when you recommended </3

James said...

Hi,

This issue affected a friend's blog (http://herestheveg.blogspot.com.au/), so I wrote a script to move all their photos to Google Photos and relink them in Blogger/blogspot. I've uploaded the application to help others in the same situation. https://jamesoflol.github.io/photobucket-blogger-migratinator/

Cheers,
James

kxin keryn pue said...

Hi James, I just launched the app and hopefully it works. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Blogger said...

BlueHost is ultimately the best hosting company with plans for all of your hosting needs.